Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Bible

"The Hobbit"
"The Secret Garden"
"Eragon"
What similarities do these three things have?
1. They have titles
2. They are books
3. They have capital letters

Is the Bible a book? (the B-I-B-L-E yes that's the book for me) Do all books have capital letters? Why have people then stopped capitalizing "Bible?" This topic was brought up at our dinner table the other day when my mom said she had noticed that more and more people weren't capitalizing it. and it really made me stop and think. I hadn't been capitalizing it either. It makes no sense whatsoever to leave it uncapitalized and that it would come naturally to us (at least me) is just odd. I really think it is the Devil picking his way slyly towards us. Sometimes these small things don't seem harmful. Here's an example though of why they are:

A little girl is told not to touch the reward jar, which holds candy, cookies, and much more yummy treats. 
"Touching the jar won't hurt it." she thinks. She reaches out and taps it. The next day she lays her hand on the lid. Finally, after doing that for quite some time, she lifts the lid just a bit, then slams it back down and looks about. Nobody saw her. Then she pulls it forward and lifts the lid, before slamming it down and pushing it back to the wall of the counter. Then she pulls it forward, lifts the lid and smells the delightful aroma wafting from it. Finally, she reaches a hand in, only to pull it back out.

I'm sure you can figure out the rest of the story. She eventually takes a piece only to find out that her father has been watching her all along. No more rewards for her! So instead of occasionally getting rewards for good deeds. She got one tiny guilty bite. If we start not capitalizing "Bible" Soon, we'll begin leaving "God" uncapitalized, and "Heaven" and "Jesus" and slowly lose respect for His Word.
Anyway, just thought I'd give you something to think about today. I want to know your opinion on my thought.
~ Ella

No comments: